Brunch is the perfect way to start any relaxing weekend, who wants to get up early to make breakfast if you don't have to? To help you stay chilled this weekend why not try this fabulous Spiced Hash from the fabulously titled 'Posh Eggs' book by Quadrille publishing.
Packed with over 70 recipes to elevate the humble egg to delicious meals for all the family, we loved this recipe for an easy brunch as its a one-pan special - so less washing up too!
Serves 2 generously
You will need:
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- knob of butter
- 550g Desiree potatoes, peeled & cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cumin
- 100g salt beef, chopped
- 55g spring cabbage, shredded
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 eggs
- a handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- brown sauce to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add the cubed potatoes in a single layer, season well and fry over a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir through the spices and continue to fry for 2 minutes, then add the salt beef and cook for a further 3 minutes, or until the potato is golden, crisped and cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain, pat dry with kitchen paper then add to the frying pan and fold through, along with the spring onions.
3. Make 4 depressions in the mixture and crack your eggs into these. Season and cook over a low heat for 12 minutes or until the whites are set.
4. Finish with a scattering of parsley and chilli, and serve with brown sauce (optional)
Many thanks to Quadrille publishing, Lucy O'Reilly (Author) and Louise Hagger (Photography) for letting us share this recipe.