To celebrate the launch of the new Marine colour from Le Creuset, and the onslaught of Autumn, bonfire night and all things cosy we are bringing you a warming, satisfying, delicious, versatile and quick recipe - perfect for making in any Signature Cast Iron Casserole!
Chicken Pilaf, recipe courtesy of Le Creuset
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Serves 4
You will need:
- 40g (1oz) salted butter
- A splash of olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries, finely crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 organic and free-range chicken legs
- 2 teaspoons sumac or ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- A handful of sultanas
- A large handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 250g (½lb) basmati rice, soaked for an hour
- A handful each of parsley, dill and mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Greek-style yogurt, to serve
- 1 pomegranate, seeded to garnish
- 20g pistachios, crushed to garnish
- Place the Signature Cast Iron 24cm Casserole on a low heat and melt the butter with a splash of oil in the pan.
- Add the onions with a pinch of salt and sprinkle in the allspice and cinnamon.
- Fry the onions over a low heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Season the chicken legs with salt and generously cover with the sumac (or rub with the ½ a lemon) and chilli flakes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the chicken to the onions. Fry the chicken legs on both sides for about 8 minutes until they begin to colour, being careful not to let the onions burn.
- Stir in the sultanas and walnuts and drain the rice before adding it to the pan.
- Season with salt, then pour over boiling water from a kettle so that the water comes 2cm above the rice. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, before turning the heat down to low and cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Leave to rest off the heat for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and check that the chicken is cooked. If not, return to the heat or put into a hot oven for a few minutes.
- Fork-up the rice to separate the grains and stir through the chopped herbs.
- To serve top with the Greek yogurt and a scattering of pomegranate seeds and pistachios.
- This is a brilliantly versatile recipe that goes particularly well in this pan. You can make it without chicken, with cauliflower, or nuts or spring vegetables - the technique is the same.
The new Le Creuset Marine colour is now available in Steamer Trading & Kitchens Cookshop stores & online.