Who wants to spend Valentine’s Day evening in the kitchen washing up? Nobody, that's who! To help you out we have the ultimate in simple but delicious, one pot dining. In this warming single pot casserole, chicken thighs, chorizo, rice and saffron evoke memories of days at the beach, Mediterranean sunshine and relaxing summer days, and so tasty that you will be able to sit back and bask in the glory of a delicious meal, delivered beautifully!
Make it extra special for your loved one this Valentines day by making and serving this heart-warming dish in the Le Creuset Heart Casserole. This simple dish is quick and easy to prepare, simple to cook and a doddle to clean up – as easy as uno, dos, tres! Serve simply with a salad or some fresh crusty bread, and we guarantee you will have a meal to impress.
Serves 2 – well it IS Valentines Day!
- 2 chicken thighs, skin-on and bone in
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 180ml white wine
- 180ml Chicken Stock
- 1 small can Chick Peas (200g) drained & rinsed
- 200g chopped tomatoes or passata
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g Chorizo, sliced into discs
- 1/4 cup green olives, halved
- flat leaf parsley, chopped to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190C
2. Season the chicken thighs with ½ teaspoon of the salt and a few twists of black pepper.
3. Heat your cast iron casserole oven over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add your olive oil. Brown the chicken until golden brown which will take around 5 minutes per each side. Remove the chicken to a plate & cover with foil
4. Add the sliced peppers & chopped onion to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables soften, stir occasionally. Add the garlic & cook for 1 minute stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn
5. Add the rice to the pan & cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, chicken stock, chick peas, chopped tomatoes (or passata), smoked paprika, salt and the bay leaf. Stir in the saffron threads and the sliced chorizo and place the chicken back into the pot, nestling the chicken pieces into the rice.
6. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
7. Stir in the green olives and garnish with flat leaf parsley (if using). Serve and enjoy.