Nothing says summer quite like an ice cold G&T, it’s a delightfully quintessential English refreshment. Another quintessentially English thing is Wimbledon; ripe strawberries, sunshine (or rain!) and of course Cliff Richard singing from the stands! With this in mind we wanted to share a delicious strawberry recipe from our Book Of The Month for July Gin Tonica by David T. Smith, a lovely book full of delicious recipes for spanish style gin and tonic cocktails.
Spanish Strawberry Gin Tonica
In 2015, a new phenomenon arrived in Spain: strawberry gin. Such was the popularity of this product in its birthplace of Valencia that within months, another six had entered the market and, by the end of 2016, there are over 30 strawberry-flavoured gins. In Valencia, the Strawberry Gin Tonica is not actually made by pairing the gin with tonic water, but rather Lemon Fanta, a slightly tart soft drink. The result is a slightly cloudy drink with a pinkish hue; the garnishes add visual brightness. The Lemon Fanta makes the drink sweeter than a normal Gin Tonica, so the use of Blackwater Strawberry Gin (one of the drier ones on the market) gives the drink balance. For a tarter drink, try substituting the Lemon Fanta for Bitter Lemon. 50 ml Blackwater Strawberry Gin 120 ml Lemon Fanta fresh or frozen strawberries, quartered, curled lemon peel, to garnish
1. Start off with a clean Gin Tonica glass.
2. Add fresh ice cubes to fill ¾ of the glass.
3. Stir gently for 15 seconds with a bar spoon or chopstick to chill the glass.
4. Pour away any liquid from the melted ice.
5. Top up the glass with more ice.
6. Add the gin, trying to ensure that you coat the ice as you pour.
7. Add the tonic water. Pouring slowly helps the tonic to keep its fizz.
8. Add your garnish.
9. Let rest for 30 seconds to allow the flavours to integrate with each other.
Another good choice of gin is Poetic License Strawberries and Cream Picnic Gin.
This recipe is featured in Gin Tonica by David T Smith (Ryland Peters & Small, £7.99) Photography by Alex Luck © Ryland Peters & Small