Homemade pickles in a flash! We’ve re-branded this kind of preserving as ‘Quickling’ – it’s quick pickling!
The perfect finishing touch for Mexican dishes like fish tacos or burritos, although they are just as delicious enjoyed in a cheese sandwich! This quick and simple recipe will give you a tasty pickle in as little as two hours.
What You Need
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 red onions, sliced into rings
1. Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the sugar, sea salt, spices and bay leaf then bring to a simmer.
2. After 1 min, check that the sugar and salt have dissolved.
3. Rinse onion slices in a sieve or colander with boiling water and drain well.
4. When cool enough to handle, pack the onion rings into a 500g sterilised jar.
5. Pour over the warm vinegar and seal.
6. Cool, then chill and leave to pickle for 2 hrs or overnight.
7. Your Quickling will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge once opened.
Shop our full preserving range Here.