A traditional baking favourite! A good victoria sponge is the perfect sweet treat for Mother's Day! Today we want to share with you this delicious recipe courtesy of our friends at Dexam. It's light, sweet and delicious!
Ingredients For The Cake
200g caster sugar
200g softened butter
1 tbsp baking powder
200g self-raising flour, sifted with baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For The Buttercream:
100g softened butter
150g icing sugar vanilla extract (optional)
150g strawberry jam icing sugar to decorate
1. Heat oven to 180 to 190°C or Gas mark 5
2. Butter two 20 to 30cm sandwich tins and then line with non-stick baking paper
3. Beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and pale.
4. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour with each egg. Then fold in the rest of the flour and finally the milk to make a smooth, soft batter.
5. Divide the mixture between the two tins. Smooth the surface with a spatula, then bake for between 20-25 minutes or until the sponge is golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes or until the sponge has cooled completely.
6. Beat the butter until smooth, and then gradually beat in the icing sugar, and vanilla extract you are using it. Spread the icing on one of the sponges, top it with fresh strawberry jam and place the second sponge on top.
7. Dust with icing sugar.